Friday, November 27, 2009

Sevilla Cathedral Visit

October 20: Sevilla Cathedral Visit

My art class was learning about Gothic architecture, so we met up one afternoon to have a tour of the cathedral here in Sevilla. It was downpouring, so we did get wet while we were waiting, but it was worth it. The cathedral is gorgeous inside, with tall vaulted ceilings and big stone columns. The main altar is covered from floor to ceiling in gold. The cathedral here is also one of the final resting places for Christopher Columbus’ remains. I say that it is only one of the final resting places because the poor man’s remains have been divided and so he now rests in some four or five different sites around the world. Also in the cathedral we saw a group of local miners on strike. They had been on strike for over 200 days, and were living in the cathedral as a manner of protecting themselves from the government. At the end of our visit we climbed La Giralda, the tower that rises high above all the other buildings in the city. Thirty-five steep ramps and a pair of throbbing calves later, I made it to the top, and was greeted with some amazing views. I then walked back to the school to do a few things before Solidarios that night and proceeded to get soaking wet, despite my umbrella. When it was warmer earlier in the semester and it rained, I just wore my Chacos. It was the easiest thing, and the most logical in my mind, since I didn’t have rain boots. My Spanish friends, however, thought I was completely nuts. They just couldn’t wrap their minds around the concept of wearing “chanclas” when it was raining. hahaha

0 comments: