Sunday, November 22, 2009

The Scoop on Toledo and my Time with the Musser Family

Wow….sorry it took me almost forever to catch up on updates.

To begin: Toledo and my visit to the Musser family, October 15-18.

Our art class took a trip to Toledo to visit the cathedral there and to look at some famous paintings we were studying at the time. When we first arrived the first thing we noticed is that it was a whole lot colder than in Sevilla, and I immediately decided that I hadn’t brought enough warm clothes. Hahaha That afternoon we explored a little bit. I got pooped on by a pidgeon while I was eating my lunch, but thankfully we had napkins and hand sanitizer on hand! Haha After our explorations we met up with the art class to look at El Entierro del Señor de Orgaz in a small church and then when to a monastery to look at Romanic architecture. That night we went shopping and had lots of fun just walking around the city, even though we were freezing.

The next day we woke up and ate a delicious breakfast at the hotel and packed our stuff. We went as a group to the cathedral and after the tour we had free time for the rest of the weekend. We had the option of either returning to Sevilla with the school or doing or own thing. I had made plans to go visit the Musser family outside of Madrid for the weekend, so I caught a taxi to the train station. I learned that the taxi system in Toledo is far different than that of Sevilla. By that, I mean that I think there are two taxis in the entire city. We went to the tourism office to ask where the best place to get a taxi was, and they pointed us across the street, saying that that was the main taxi point in the city. So we went and we waited and waited and waited. Twenty minutes later, we saw a taxi and attempted to flag it down, but the driver shook his head and kept driving. There was another American couple behind me in line for a taxi, and they didn’t speak any Spanish, so I was trying to help them out, and while I was helping them I missed a taxi. So then I went back to the tourism office and had them call a taxi for me. The taxi picked me up and took me down to the train station. Where I found out that the next two trains were sold out, so I had to sit at the train station and do homework for a few hours while I waited. I finally got into Madrid Atocha station, figured out where my next train was, and wedged myself onto a packed commuter train with my huge backpack and my stuffed messenger bag. I got lots of dirty looks. Haha

The Mussers drove out to meet me in Alcala, where I got off the train, and drove me back to their house and fed me an INCREDIBLE American meal. It was so good! Haha Mrs. Musser gave me a tour of their house and I showed her some photos of my time here in Spain, and then I went to bed. The next day we got up bright and early to head out to a camp in the mountains in Guadalajara. It was an English retreat run by local missionaries, so I got to help out by speaking English with the different people. There were a few people there my age, and I made friends with Dani, who was my partner in the baking workshop session. We returned home that night, and went pretty much straight to bed. The next morning was church at the Evangelical Christian Academy across the street. It was so much fun, and there was a potluck after the service, so that was a nice treat. I caught the AVE high speed train to Sevilla in Madrid that night, and made it back home in less than 3 hours. :-)

A great weekend all in all! Sorry it took me forever to update!

0 comments: