Friday, November 27, 2009

Last Weeks of October

End of October: Noche de Chicas #2, Fun with Friends, Mom’s Visit, and Halloween

The second to last week in October we had another “Noche de Chicas” on a Friday evening, which was really a combined activity night for guys and girls. We all gathered in the library at the school and watched the movie You, Me, and Dupree. I thought it was a pretty good movie. The school ordered pizza for us, and a bunch of girls did their nails while we just relaxed and enjoyed a fun night together.

The next day I hung out with my intercambio Fernando. We went to this amazing Tavern, called La Taberna Los Coloniales, for tapas. It was DELICIOUS. We walked around and talked and got some ice cream before saying goodbye for the week. On my walk back home, there was a modern art exhibition going on. The city was having a contest for thirty artists to paint the glass recycling containers that can be found on nearly every corner. They were all gathered right outside the school, painting, drawing, stenciling. It was amazing. Since then, the containers have been judged and exhibited throughout the city, with one container going into each of the neighborhoods.

The next day I was SO excited for my mom to come. Despite the difficulties with her flight, she arrived the next day, Sunday night. Lisa and I had taken the bus to the airport and were anxiously awaiting her in the receiving area. I even made a sign with her name on it, just in case she didn’t remember what I looked like. Haha The three of us took a taxi to her hotel in Triana and then walked across the river to grab some dinner at Pan’s and Company, which is liked a Subway meets McDonald’s type of restaurant. The next morning, I surprised her bright and early with breakfast before I headed to school: cañas de chocolate, apples, and orange juice. The cañas are my favorite breakfast treat here. Once every two or three weeks I will go to OpenCor and treat myself to one from the bakery there. MMMMmmmm. They are like a croissant shaped like a log, with chocolate filling, and chocolate sprinkles on top. Sometimes I get lucky and I buy them on the day that they are also glazed in chocolate over the top. Oh, man, now I really want to go buy one. Haha Anyways, I had a great time while mom was here. I got to show her some of my favorite places around the city, and while I was in classes in the morning she got to go exploring some of the touristy things. Wednesday night Lisa and I went with her to a flamenco show in the Jewish barrio of Santa Cruz. It was INCREDIBLE. I don’t understand how they can move that way! Thursday Mom got to come to our house and have lunch with my host family. We had paella, and I think it was mom’s favorite thing she had while she was here.

Friday we celebrated Halloween at the school with a little costume contest. I was a “Nudist on Strike” or “Nudista que está de huelga”. Basically, I just wore my normal clothes and then taped a sign on my shirt. Haha That night we all headed to the airport and said our goodbyes, Mom heading to her flight to Madrid and then back home, and me heading to Barcelona with Lisa and our friend Sarah for a week of vacation.

0 comments: